Monday, April 29, 2013

Polar Spirits



By Ole C. Salomonsen

This is my third short-film about the northern lights. This year some epic displays has been on the sky, and for the first time I have included real-time recordings.

As usual, my main focus is on getting the auroras show as close as possible to real-time speed given the time available in a short video. Although in a few sequences I have accepted overdoing the speed to better enhance other elements, such as moving fog, faster pans, clouds, milky way etc.
In the film I have tried to show the slower majestic dancing lights, as well as the more faster, dramatic and abstract shows, and finally the auroras in combination with city lights and urban elements.
The video is shot using stills and assembled together for best possible resolution and dynamic range. In this video however, for the first time, I have also chosen to include some real-time video footage. This is to better show how furiously fast and beautiful the polar spirits can dance! The two sequences which are shot in real-time (in the middle of the video) could never have been recreated using still photos, regardless what camera you are using.
To substantiate the feeling and sense of the different aurora shapes and speeds I did get a special musical soundtrack composed by composer Peter Nanasi. In my opinion the music is just fantastically beautiful and I recommend you watching the video on a large screen as well with proper audio gear connected. Peter is just fantastic talented, and very professional to work with. Thank you Peter for your hard work.
The video has been shot with Canon DSLR’s and various lenses, as well as using rails and time-lapse gear from Dynamic Perception. (Stage One / Stage Zero) dynamicperception.com
Most sequences have been shot in arctic northern Norway, close to the city of Tromsø. One sequence is from Finland and one from Sweden.The city sequences you see are shot in and over Tromsø, which in Norway often is referred to as “the northern lights city”.
BTW! This year the coast of northern Norway was overwhelmed with humpback whales, which are absolutely magnificent and beautiful creatures. While watching the auroras and shooting the opening sequence of this video I could hear the whales breaching and blowing air in the fjord. It was an absolutely magic experience. Sadly the whales never came close enough to do a really good shot of the whales under the auroras, but If you watch closely on the opening sequence you can actually see the whales breaching a few times a bit out in the fjord.
This video will be featuring in full HD on my upcoming Blu-Ray / DVD “The Magic Auroras”, in good company with LOT’S of more videos, soon to be released!!! ;) To ensure you get more information regarding this, please pay attention on my facebook page.
More information about me and my photography work:
Arctic Light Photo / Ole Salomonsen
Music
Peter Nanasi:
peternanasi.com
e-mail: nanasipeter@gmail.com
I hope you like watching the video, and that you find the dance of the polar spirits just as fascinating as I do.
Video is immediately available in 4K+ in various formats/codecs:
4096 x 2304 24p/ 3840x2160 24p/ 1920x1080 24p.
In addition to these sequences I have a large collection of sequences shot with all sky cams (360degrees fisheye) which are suitable for domes, and many more real-time sequences. I am considering putting out something more shot in these formats, at a later time.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sis told me about your website and how great it is. She’s proper, I'm actually impressed with the writing and slick design. It appears to me you’re just scratching the surface by way of what you can accomplish, but you’re off to an important begin!

Here is my site :: having trouble getting pregnant