Thursday, December 20, 2012

In Praise Of A Contented Mind



My mind to me a kingdom is;
Such perfect joy therein I find
That it excels all other bliss
That world affords or grows by kind.
Though much I want which most men have,
Yet still my mind forbids to crave.
No princely pomp, no wealthy store,
No force to win the victory,
No wily wit to salve a sore,
No shape to feed each gazing eye;
To none of these I yield as thrall.
For why my mind doth serve for all.

I see how plenty suffers oft,
How hasty climbers soon do fall;
I see that those that are aloft
Mishap doth threaten most of all;
They get with toil, they keep with fear.
Such cares my mind could never bear.

Content I live, this is my stay;
I seek no more than may suffice;
I press to bear no haughty sway;
Look what I lack my mind supplies;
Lo, thus I triumph like a king,
Content with that my mind doth bring.

Some have too much, yet still do crave;
I little have, and seek no more.
They are but poor, though much they have,
And I am rich with little store.
They poor, I rich; they beg, I give;
They lack, I leave; they pine, I live.

I laugh not at another’s loss;
I grudge not at another’s gain;
No worldly waves my mind can toss;
My state at one doth still remain.
I fear no foe, nor fawning friend;
I loathe not life, nor dread my end.

Some weigh their pleasure by their lust,
Their wisdom by their rage of will,
Their treasure is their only trust;
And cloaked craft their store of skill.
But all the pleasure that I find
Is to maintain a quiet mind.

My wealth is health and perfect ease;
My conscience clear my chief defense;
I neither seek by bribes to please,
Nor by deceit to breed offense.
Thus do I live, thus will I die.
Would all did so as well as I!

Poem by: Edward de Vere
17th Earl of Oxford

Art: A Contented Mind’s A Continual Feast
By Erskine Nicol
Via: Art Finder

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are going for finest contents like I do, simply pay a quick visit this website every day since
it offers quality contents, thanks

my site :: the tao of badass

Anonymous said...

It's great that you are getting thoughts from this piece of writing as well as from our discussion made at this place.

Here is my blog ... attract women

Anonymous said...

Hi it's me, I am also visiting this web site regularly, this website is truly good and the people are actually sharing fastidious thoughts.

my web blog tao of badass by joshua pellicer

Josh barret said...

Doing great job.
panting artist