Friday, December 16, 2005

'Discovery'

through leafy walls a swathe is made
the jungle yielding to my blade.
now left, now right, it shines aloft
and tangled , tripping vines drop soft.

adventurer, explorer, and more
I search where none has dared before.
for memories of a long-lost day
just stories, fables, so they say.

a dark shape looms, I fall across
a mass of Ivy, dripping moss.
so high, so green, so solid, this
a veritable edifice!

my fingers probe, ferns thickly-grown
and touch a cold, hard heart of stone.

long ropes fall tumbling, green and lush
to hands which tremble with the rush.
and, stone on stone, a wall I find
three more, yes, four--all stone, all blind.

I seize my pick, attack the walls
old mortar loosens, crumbles, falls.
until at length, a crack of light
reveals the hidden, longed-for sight.

a space lives in my heart, my core
a bricked-up room which has no door.

old wall, with time, all over-mossed
the memory of their building lost.
high walls, invisible to me
all hung with habit-greenery.

so long, I've felt compelled to hide
so long, I've worked to see inside.
to break those bricks down, with a shout
restore, connect, within, without...

No comments: