Sunday, May 19, 2013

On Force Feeding Hunger Strikers




Those inmates who have been subjected to forced feeding, describe the pain and degradation they feel during it. 

In an op-ed for the New York Times last month, Samir Naji al Hasan Moqbel wrote: "I will never forget the first time they passed the feeding tube up my nose. I can't describe how painful it is to be force-fed this way. As it was thrust in, it made me feel like throwing up. I wanted to vomit, but I couldn't. There was agony in my chest, throat and stomach. I had never experienced such pain before. I would not wish this cruel punishment upon anyone."


An editorial published earlier this month in the medical journal the Lancetsuggests that there is a distinct moral line between force-feeding people who are refusing meals through impaired mental capacity and those doing so as a protest. It states: 
"In the latter case, the individual has weighed up the facts, and come to the conclusion that they will refuse nutrition, and risk death in order to correct a perceived injustice. Whether or not one agrees with this decision, to force-feed infringes the principle of patient autonomy."
"can only be hoped that those health workers responsible for the care of detainees act in an ethical manner: both for the benefit of the individuals concerned, and for the standards of humanity and dignity that both the medical profession, and the USA, are pledged to uphold".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All the waste of the physical are cleared to, much extent
for the help with regards to heat. Have got are walking you might breathe better.


My web blog; organizacja wczasów